Fresh homemade broth or stock is a magical healing food, and regarded as an important staple in the Weston A. Price Foundation diet.
It has no similarity to the chicken broth you buy at the grocery store (even if you buy organic), so don't be fooled!
True bone broth is made by boiling bones and pieces of meat in purified water for 36 hours (for beef bones) or 24 hours (for chicken bones). The liquid is then strained and cooled.
The resulting broth is a nutritious gelatinous food that aids in digestion of proteins.
The bone broth made by Miller's Organic Farm contains natural gelatin which is a rich source of collagen (for your skin), glycine (an amino acid which aid digestion and improve protein assimilation), natural antibiotics, peptides, anti-infammatory substances, and important minerals for bones and teeth, but in a unique form that is easy for the body to absorb (unlike supplements).
These minerals include calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals.
Beef bone broth is particularly rich in material from cartilage and tendons like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine for joint pain relief.
Bone Broth Benefits:
- Heals/repairs the GI tract
- Repairs leaky gut
- Helps protein and mineral absorption
- Helps immune system
- Liver detoxification
- Prevents and reduces food allergies and intolerances
- Great for kids who are dairy intolerant to get minerals
- Rich source of well absorbed Calcium and bone building minerals
- Helps build strong bones and teeth
- Nourishes adrenal glands (post-partum moms need adrenal support)
- Reduces Effects of Phthalate Exposure
"Peasant societies still make broth. It is a necessity in cultures that do not use milk because only stock made from bones and dairy products provides calcium in a form that the body can easily assimilate. It is also a necessity when meat is a luxury item, because gelatin in properly made broth helps the body use protein in an efficient way."
ARTICLES ON BONE BROTH:
- Traditional Bone Broth in Modern Health and Disease by Allison Siebecker
- Benefits of Broth "Broth is Beautiful" by Sally Fallon of Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF)
- Chicken Broth "No MSG" labels are False by Sarah Pope of WAPF
- Gelatin in Bone Broth for Liver Detox by Sarah Pope
- How Bone Broth Supports Your Adrenals and Teeth by Nourished Kitchen
- Benefits of Gelatin from Bone Broth by Sarah Pope
- Benefits and Culinary Uses of Bone Broth by Nourished Kitchen
- Making Quick Nutritious Soups with Bone Broth by Sarah Pope
- Video: Preparing Bone Stocks and Soups by Sarah Pope
- Optimal Foods for Physical Fitness by Paula Jager
- Easy Recipes and Benefits by Balanced Bites
- Making Bone Broth in the Slow Cooker by Nourished Kitchen